This is a recipe of my own making and is so simple – it’ll surprise you.
With a rich sauce, this dish is surprising light and is healthy too. Although it is best slow cooked for a number of hours, this recipe is a tasty bowl of comfort within an hour and a half and the prep will only steal a few minutes.
No sauteing or browning in a pan – this one pot chicken is just that.
Less dishes. Less fuss. More flavour
Ingredients (serves 3) 4x Chicken breasts baby potatoes 1x stick of celery 1x red onion can of tomatoes 2x red bell peppers 2 cloves of garlic 350ml chicken stock capers or pitted black olives parsley dried basil olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Chop the vegetables into bite sized pieces and lay them at the bottom of the pot with the potatoes.
- Mince 2 large cloves of garlic and tear some parsley – placing both into the pot with the vegetables.
- Score the chicken breasts and Lay them on top of the vegetables. Add the can of tomatoes and stock to the pot.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and add a teaspoon basil.
- Cover and place pot into the hot oven. Cook for 1hr.
- After 1hr. Remove pot from oven and add the capers or olives to the pot. Stir.
- Place pot back into the oven and cook uncovered for 30mins.
- Serve in warm bowls with a drizzle of olive oil and garnished with parsley with a slice of crusty buttered bread. Dig in!
For vegetarian & vegan readers – why not try this recipe with some fried firm tofu?
If you have the time and the patience I really recommend you slow cook the dish for 3hrs. The recipe above is quick and healthy but is extremely versatile too. We not knock it up a notch with some chili flakes or replace the potatoes with lentils