This is a quick scrap which is simple to make, packed with flavour and is perfect if there are many mouths to feed as it can be cooked in one big pot. It goes brilliantly with couscous or rice and peas and is a cracking good dish with minimum effort.
Ingredients (serves 4) Spanish sausage or sausages onion 2 garlic cloves 3 red bell peppers 2 tablespoons of red pepper relish or salsa Cajun spice ground coriander cumin can of chopped tomatos salt and black pepper parsley olive oil
- Pre-heat an oven to 180c
- Chop the bell peppers in half, removing seeds and stalk. Lightly coat peppers in olive oil and salt and pepper on a tray. Place tray into oven for 10-15mins (or until peppers are lightly chared).
- Whilst peppers roast in the oven. Dice an onion and the garlic and add it to a heated pan with olive oil. Saute.
- Chop the sausages into bite sized pieces and add them to the pan.
- When the meat has browned on its sides, add the chopped tomatos and turn down the heat of the pan. Simmer.
- Remove peppers from oven and place them into a heat-proof blender. Bliz.
- Pour pureed bell peppers into simmering pan. Add the spices and relish/salsa. Stir
- Turn up the heat and let sauce bubble once more and thicken.
- Roughly chop parsley and garnish dish
- Serve with warm couscous or rice.
This dish is great comfort food and is delicious as is but it can be knocked up a notch with some pitted black olives, a final sprinkling of chili flakes and a dollop of sour cream. Chorizo works brilliantly here but any Spanish sausage or bangers in the fridge will do too!