Christmas is on its way and there’s nothing better than having a hot bowl of soup while snuggled on the sofa near a roaring fire. This is a quick recipe perfect for cold winter nights. It’s so easy to make and will have you warmed up in no time as the winds continue to howl outside.
With very few ingredients – This recipe is as healthy as it is fuss-free. All it takes is a little prep and either a heatproof blender or a handheld blender which will blitz the vegetables in no time.
Ingredients: 2x Butternut squash 1x large onion garlic 350ml of vegetable or chicken stock tablespoon of honey tablespoon of french mustard dried oregano olive oil cumin seeds Juice of half a lemon salt & pepper
- Chop the butternut squash into chunks. No need to peel the hard outer skin, just scoop out the seeds.
- Place the chunks of squash in a baking tray and massage the olive oil generously so that the chunks are coated.
- sprinkle a few cumin seeds onto the chunks of squash
- Place tray into a heated oven for 30mins at 200 degrees.
- Dice a large onion and a large clove of garlic.
- Add chopped onion & garlic to a pot with some melted butter or a little olive oil. Saute.
- Take the cooked squash out from the oven and leave to cool for a few minutes. Scoop the squash away from the skin. After being baked, the skin can peel away easily.
- Add the squash to the pot
- Add the stock and stir
- Add a tablespoon of the honey, mustard and dried oregano. Stir
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 a lemon in the pot and stir well
- Blend the stock and vegetables until smooth.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of cream cheese or sour cream and a few diced chives.
This soup is so easy to make and is healthy too. Serve the soup with some crusty buttered bread, sit back and dig in.