This is a quick recipe for a tasty meal packed with flavour. Unlike a Chinese takeway this home cooked scrap will have your tummy thanking you. Quick and easy – like all my recipes, this is a great warming dish perfect for cold autumn nights. Add as much spice as desired and you’re good to go.
The recipe below uses few ingredients but feel free to pack in more of your favourite veggies and of course use quorn or tofu as an alternative to chicken.
Vegetarian tip: Use rice wine vinegar too instead of Oyster sauce.
Seriously this meal is whipped up in minutes, just prep first and have all your veg chopped and ready to go.
Ingredients: cooked chicken breast cooked brown rice spring onion garlic ginger chili flakes mangetout 1 egg peanut or coconut oil oyster sauce soy sauce 5 spice toasted sesame oil (optional)
- Chop the chicken/tofu into bite sized pieces
- Dice the garlic, ginger & chop the veg.
- In a bowl, scramble an egg and leave aside for later.
- Heat a pan or wok with some peanut oil or coconut oil.
- Add the diced ginger, garlic and some chili flakes. Stir
- Add the spring onion and mangetout (and other desired veg). Stir.
- Add the rice and stir the wok, making sure to keep everything moving on high heat.
- Add the osyster sauce, spices and soy sauce.
- Add the egg and quickly mix/stir the rice and vegetables together making sure the egg coats as much of the rice as possible.
- Serve immediately in warm bowls with a final drizzle of sesame oil
The toasted sesame oil is optional but if you have it at hand use it as it adds a brilliant nutty flavour to the dish. The recipe is extremely simple and versatile but packed with flavour. It’s one of my favourites