This is a short scrap of a recipe for a tasty side dish. It is quick and easy to cook up and goes really well with a baked sweet potato and a dollop of sour cream. It’s nice too served with piri piri chicken and a buttery corn on the cob. I sometimes eat this on its own for a quick lunch but the side does need either some guacamole or sour cream paired with it as the dish alone is quite dry.
It’s my Mexican concoction and it’s simple to make.
Ingredients Pancetta ham can of kidney beans spring onion garlic coriander cumin ground coriander Cajun pepper paprika lime peanut oil
- Chop the pancetta into bite sized pieces and add to hot pan without oil. Fry the ham for a few minutes until the meat is crispy on the outside.
- While the ham is frying. Chop or mince some garlic and chop the spring onion into bite sized pieces. Add to the pan with the pancetta and stir.
- Strain a can of kidney beans but keep 1/2 of the can’s water and add the kidney beans with its water to the hot pan. Stir
- Add a tablespoon of the cumin, Cajun, paprika & ground coriander. Stir
- Chop some fresh coriander or tear the leaves with your hands and add to the pan. Stir
- Squeeze the juice of a lime into the pan and a drizzle of peanut oil. Stir.
- Serve the side with sour cream & extra coriander to garnish – dig in!
Besides the pancetta this dish is quite healthy and needs no oil as the ingredients will fry in the ham’s fat. The peanut oil is optional but I think it adds a great nutty flavour to the dish.
until next time,